Friday, January 11, 2013

Friday Devotion: We Need Each Other

We need each other

by Lisa Gossman-Steeves, WritingPlaces
 
As it is, there are many parts, but one body.  The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And, the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 1 Corinthians 12: 20, 21 (NIV)

Since opening my Etsy store 18 months ago, I have come to appreciate the community spirit among the shop owners.  It took a little while to notice. When I first opened my shop, I did not know what to do until one person “favorited” my shop. After this, more people began to favorite my items and I learned to do the same with theirs. I soon learned that in the online community “being seen” is crucial so adding other people’s items to my favorites contributed to that effort. It was also a lot of fun to see the creativity of others. Then, I learned about circles, treasuries and teams.  I enjoyed the fact that my treasuries should feature other people rather than my own shop. It reminded me of the way Christians should behave toward others.

The Apostle Paul wrote that Christians are like a body and each member has its own function. Just like the human body, the church works well when each person functions as designed. However, we must also recognize that the other members are just as important, as today’s verse demonstrates. It is the same with Etsy. We all own at least one shop. That one shop can make it alone but it is easier when shop owners act as a team. By promoting other shops, we promote our own in the process.  When shop owners befriend and encourage each other, return favors and trade, we help each other succeed. As a result, all of the other shops have a better chance of making it as well. It is that way in life, in the church and on Etsy. It is natural. God designed us to need each other.

1 comment: