Monday, January 7, 2013

Project for grandchildren turns into business

Today we are visiting with Maria of Hyattsville, Maryland.  Maria shop is called Designs By Rufino where she specializes in ornaments for all occasions, including birthdays, showers, births, graduations,  holidays,  sports, hobbies,  weddings, anniversaries; art work and name letters.

Here is what she had to tell us ... 

DesignsbyRufino

 





How did you find Etsy?

My daughter had mentioned Etsy to me a few years ago, when I used to make jewelry, but it wasn't until last June, when I had already been making the ornaments for about eight months that a coworker (another Etsian) suggested it and pointed me in the right direction. I got hooked!

When you began creating, how did it enrich your life? Do you recall the inspiration for your first creation?

Every time I create something -- wall art, name letters, ornaments, jewelry -- [it] is an inspiring experience. My creativity flows so easily. I find that, while I am working on an item, my brain is already planning/designing the next one. The inspiration for my first ornament was Christmas. I wanted to start a Christmas tradition for my eight grandchildren and started to make ornaments for them.

Where can members find your creations on other social media venues? Facebook?  Pinterest? Twitter? Wanelo?

The other social media venue I use is Facebook. I'm too busy making ornaments and improving my shop on Etsy so I haven't made time to look into other venues.

What areas would you like to learn more about here on Etsy, such as photography, writing descriptions and listing titles, etc.?

I just want to be able to promote my ornaments better to make them more visible.

DesignsbyRufino

Thanks, Maria. Next Monday we'll feature another shop. Be sure to check out the blog to find out who it is. Also, be sure to promote this link on Facebook and Twitter to promote Maria's shop. We're all in this together! 

Posted by Lisa Gossman-Steeves
DesignsbyRufino
DesignsbyRufino

11 comments:

  1. Lovely post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful story!! Maria's ornaments are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you all stopped by! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty and creative ornaments. Beautiful feature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to get to know you a bit more Maria! You have a lovely shop and the ornaments you have created are very unique and beautiful. May you create many, many more! Peace and Hugs! ;) Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel honored and quite lucky to be part of this wonderful group of deticated people....You are all quite special to me.

    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great feature! Love your ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for all the very nice comments you have written. It is very encouraging to read them. I am looking forward to making new ornaments for the upcoming holidays and occasions that life brings. I have been trying to promote other members' items while I work on my shop, so I hope that has helped with sales.

    Thanks again,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete